Broadband Adoption in the Critical Communications Industry
With the growing appetite for broadband-enabled data applications, and the increasing possibility of spectrum allocation in many parts of the world, the market for private/ hybrid broadband networks for private mobile radio (PMR) users will continue to expand across multiple sectors. As a result, the critical communications industry will move towards a mix of broadband-capable network solutions e.g., private long term evolution (LTE) or the various operating models possible with commercial and private LTE. It is unlikely that users will adopt broadband solutions to the exclusion of existing licensed mobile radio (LMR), but adoption will be along the lines of a complementary service that allows users to communicate across LMR and cellular networks, depending on specific operational requirements.
Indeed, work is progressing on the development of products and services, with an increasing number of manufacturers and commercial mobile operators entering the critical communications market. The second European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Mission Critical Push to Talk (MCPTT) Plugtests™ event was held earlier this year, where as well as voice, mission critical data and mission critical video interworking capabilities were tested for the first time. This work is expected to evolve as 3GPP takes more requirements from different sectors of the global critical communications industry on board.
Revenue projections by sector:
- Revenues utilities – From $164m in 2018 to $460m in 2022 – increase of 181 per cent.
- Revenues public safety – From $2.9bn in 2018 to $6.9bn in 2022 – increase of 140 percent.
- Revenues transport – From $433m in 2018 to $938m in 2022 – increase of 116 per cent.
- Revenues industrial – From $319m in 2018 to $700m in 2022 – increase of 119 per cent
The figures include revenues from infrastructure, mobile services and applications, lte devices, managed services and system integration.
IHS Markit definitions of LTE networks revenue projections:
- Hybrid: Revenues attributed to data/ PTT over LTE over a combination (hybrid) of private networks based on commercial cellular technology and public commercial cellular networks that have dedicated access enhancements for users.
- Private: Data over private networks (100% privately owned infrastructure) based on LTE cellular technology.